I got my Patriarchal Blessing when I was 27. I got it because Jeff told me I should. (He has always been so much better at the gospel and obedience that I am.) He was trying to help me find a way to ease the stress I was feeling after I was given a new calling at church that I was sure I wasn’t capable of. (Inspired direction from God just for me? That just might work.) Jeff was right…as usual.
I have loved reading my Patriarchal Blessing through the years. I’ve always thought it was simple and straightforward–no giant revelations or lightning bolts. Just a sweet note from Father to me.
Last week I decided that I really wanted to STUDY it. That shouldn’t take too long…It’s not like it was the book of Isaiah or anything. So, here is what I did- I went to Pinterest!
I found this idea! Patriarchal Blessing in scripture format. Genius!! I was going to turn my blessing into a book of scripture to make it easier to study. Each paragraph became like a chapter, each thought became a verse.
This is how I broke the study into small bites-
- Define any word you are unsure of. I looked in the Bible dictionary and Webster. Write it all down.
- Research your lineage. Lds.org and the scriptures were helpful with this one.
- Identify the blessings promised.
- Find any cautions you are given.
- List mention of Spiritual Gifts. Look them up in the scriptures or lds.org.
- Write down any other impressions you have while studying, highlight things you want to learn more about.
- Feel the love!
My blessing is so much more valuable to me now. I have been so inspired to try to live so that I can have all of the blessings that Heavenly Father wants to give me.
How do you study your blessing? How has it changed your life?